Custom Home Building Process Links & Resources
- Home Building Books - Whether you are a consumer getting ready to build your first house or a home builder trying to better understand your clients, you owe it to yourself to read at least 2 of these highly recommended books about the homebuilding process. You can read our reviews, decide which books you would most enjoy reading, and then head to your local library to "check them out" for yourself.
- Home Building Schedule - This is an example of a typical construction schedule for a large custom home. It was produced using Microsoft Project® and includes most, but not all, of the activities involved in the process of building a new home.
- Construction Loans & Mortgages - Information about the mortgage process, including how to make a loan application, explanations of the various types of mortgages and various financial calculators.
- Home Building Photo Album - In order to help our visitors better understand the residential construction process, we are assembling a large collection of pictures and descriptions in our photo album. There are pictures showing the process of clearing a wooded building lot, drilling a well, installing a septic system, building a pole house in the Australian bush, contracting a Deck House in Maryland, constructing a straw bale house in Pennsylvania and many other pictures of houses and construction details.
- Hometime - One of my favorite how-to television shows for years, Hometime is now on-line. Geared toward DIY-ers (Do It Yourself), they offer videos, books, and lots of instructional information. The Contracting a Home section is a step-by-step description of the home building process.
- Owner Builder Services - Tom Landis is a knowledgeable construction industry insider, educator, speaker, and writer, currently living in Washington state. While I have not yet reviewed his "Home Building Consumer's Guide & Video", his Web site offers plenty of information for people interested in becoming owner/builders. He was also kind enough to allow us to publish one of his articles called How to Qualify a Contractor for Your Building Project. BTW, when you visit his site, be sure to look for Anna's recipes inside his lunch box!
[ back to links index ]